On Jan 4, 2005, at 7:03 AM, Jan Eden wrote:

I am trying to install the gd library in order to use the GD module. So far, I have installed freetype and libpng, but when I fail to install libjpeg.

When running configure like this:

./configure --enable-shared

I get the following warning (and an error on subsequent make):

checking host system type... ltconfig: cannot guess host type; you must specify one
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.

Where are you downloading your libjpeg source from? I fetched a copy from the Independent JPEG Group's site, using the download link on FreshMeat: <http://freshmeat.net/projects/libjpeg/>. It configured and built without a single error or even any warnings.

This used to be a very common error several years ago. Mac OS X was brand-new, and autoconf hadn't been updated to produce configure scripts that would recognize it. But autoconf has been updated long since, and most projects have updated their configure scripts. If you're getting this error today, I'd be concerned about the package being outdated in other ways too... :-(

sherm--