On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:51:03 -0800, Rich Morin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My spouse has, at her workplace, a Mac OS X machine with web sharing
> turned on. This machine is, therefore, reachable on the internal
> company LAN as either http://catnip.local or http://catnip.company.com
>
> When she works from home, she accesses the company network via VPN.
> The  machine is still accessible as http://catnip.company.com.
>
> Unfortunately, many of the links automatically convert too URLs
> beginning catnip.local.  Via VPN (the way she does it), there is
> no catnip.local.
>
> Does anyone know where this redirection to catnip.local is stored and
> whether (how) she can make it stop?

Rich,

This isn't really a perl question--probably.  Does catnip have an
assigned static ip?  it probably does.  If so, you can just add a line
to /etc/hosts with the ip:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     catnip.local

That will redirect all requests for catnip.local to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
That's if she's runninf some form of Panther.  If she still uses
Jaguar, you may need to do a little mucking about with netinfo and
/machines to get things to work right.  Jaguar had a braindamaged
lookupd.

where the perl will cmoe in is if catnip has a dynamic ip, in which
case you'll need to update it automatically.

HTH,

--jay