Hmm. All this made me look at how I have this box set up and I discover that what I was about to tell you (and what I've done to a box I'm borrowing from work) was wrong. I'lll try to reconstruct things. I hope I make sense.

My spouse has, at her workplace, a Mac OS X machine with web sharing
turned on. This machine is, therefore, reachable on the internal
company LAN as either http://catnip.local or http://catnip.company.com

If my memory is right, I used to get that back in the days of 10.0 when the link went down or the ethernet cable came slightly loose or whatnot. /etc/hosts was only referenced during single user mode back then or something. I can't remember if using the machines "domain" in netinfo was the cause or the cure. But if you look under /machines in the Applications/Utilities/netinfo GUI widget, you'll notice that there are two entries that look very suspicious.

At one time I had added an entry under /machines for the name of this box. I duplicated the localhost entry and edited it in a way that seemed appropriate. Sometime between 10.0 and 10.2.8, Apple fully restored the functionality of /etc/hosts, so I presently have a line something like

    10.2.40.49  reiisi reiisi.homedns.org

in /etc/hosts, instead.

When she works from home, she accesses the company network via VPN.
The  machine is still accessible as http://catnip.company.com.

Unfortunately, many of the links automatically convert too URLs
beginning catnip.local.  Via VPN (the way she does it), there is
no catnip.local.

I was going to mumble something here, but I need to hit the hay. I'm not sure I'm making any sense anymore anyway.

Does anyone know where this redirection to catnip.local is stored and
whether (how) she can make it stop?

-r
--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com        - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory