John> It does, but mod_perl is not built into Apache.

This is "OSX" we're talking about, right?  It does indeed come with
mod_perl, and it works just fine.  See /etc/httpd/httpd.conf to make
the tweaks.

What I did to keep the core conf file clean was create
~merlyn/Sites/.httpd.conf and then symlink that into
/etc/httpd/users/merlyn.conf . That means I can edit a file without
going sudo, and stop/start my server from the sharing preferences
pane, and it will be considered part of the system conf file.

Here's a few lines from my local conf file.  I set up a server-info,
a server-status, a mod_perl url (/perl) and a mod_cgi url (/cgi),
as well as permitting others to browse my music collection (/Music),
and a local caching proxy server (point my browser at :8800).

Now, I also have another apache-ssl-modperl in another area on my
laptop, but that's so I can clone stonehenge.com's exact configuration
for local editing, and that's all I use it for.  I use the built-in
server for all my in-class demos and quick testing.

    ## ln -s $this_file /etc/httpd/users/merlyn.conf

    LoadModule status_module      libexec/httpd/mod_status.so
    LoadModule info_module        libexec/httpd/mod_info.so
    LoadModule proxy_module       libexec/httpd/libproxy.so
    LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/httpd/libssl.so
    LoadModule perl_module        libexec/httpd/libperl.so

    <Directory /Users/merlyn/Sites>
    Options All
    AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

    <Directory /Users/merlyn/Sites/perl>
    Options +ExecCGI
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    </Directory>

    <Directory /Users/merlyn/Sites/cgi>
    Options +ExecCGI
    SetHandler cgi-script
    </Directory>

    <Location /server-info>
        SetHandler server-info
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Location>

    <Location /server-status>
        SetHandler server-status
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Location>

    Alias /Music/ "/Users/merlyn/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/"

    <Directory /Users/merlyn/Music>
    Options +Indexes
    </Directory>

    ## have to have this, or else we don't listen on 80 anymore

    Listen 0.0.0.0:80

    ## set up a proxy caching server

    Listen 127.0.0.1:8800
    <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:8800>