On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Sherm Pendley wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Janet Goldstein wrote:
>
> > People would use ActivePerl for OS X for the same reason Windows
> > users use ActivePerl
>
> Windows users use ActivePerl because Windows doesn't ship with Perl.

FWIW, ActiveState Perl is also available for Solaris; they also make
software available for AIX, HP-UX, etc. I'm not sure if these systems
tend to ship with Perl, but I know that Perl often runs on them.

In that light, I'm actually a little surprised that they didn't have a
version for Mac OS X sooner than this.

The timing of the announcement seems curious to me...

--
Chris Devers