On Tue, 07 Jun 2005, brian pink wrote:
> My big question, and one I didn't see clearly articulated on their
> site, is why would you use this install?

Some reasons I can come up with:

* You want to use the latest maintenance version of Perl and not wait
  until Apple updates OS X. Panther ships with 5.8.1-RC3 and Tiger
  with 5.8.6. ActivePerl allows you to install 5.8.7 now. We plan to
  always have ActivePerl releases shortly after new Perl maintenance
  releases come out.

* You want to install additional CPAN modules without installing
  the Xcode Tools to get a C compiler etc.  ActivePerl includes
  PPM to install precompiled modules from the ActiveState repository.

* You want to get a full set of searchable HTML docs for your
  Perl installation that is accessible from Apple Help.

There are at least 2 reasons right now where the system Perl is better:

* ActivePerl does not yet include wxPerl.

* ActivePerl does not yet include mod_perl.

But since ActivePerl does not modify/overwrite your system Perl you can
use both in parallel if you need to.

Cheers,
-Jan