On Apr 3, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

Even though it's not as necessary as it was when the system perl was at v5.6 and we all wanted the Unicode stuff in v5.8, I'm still inclined to build a separate install of perl for application use. That way I don't have to worry as much about fine-tuning what gets installed, and I find it's easier to get cpan to behave, as well.

(Not that you can ever ignore what gets installed, but it's easier to protect the server if you keep the OS clean.)

Are there OS functions that rely on perl? What sorts of things?

Are there nice directions somewhere for setting up a separate install?

Also, how does CPAN module determine what's installed? I hesitated to just remove stuff from /Library/Perl until Ed told me to do so, because I figured that CPAN was keeping some state info about what was there.

Thanks,

Cheryl