On 13.06.2006 22:12, "Sherm Pendley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It means that the user running gpg (root) is not the same as the user
> that owns the gpg.conf file (mareklaptop).
>
> If verifying module signatures is your only use for GPG, you could
> simply chown that file to make it owned by root.
>
> A better option is to install and use the latest CPAN.pm module,
> which allows you to supply an alternative to the final "make install"
> command. You can configure it to use "sudo make" instead of just
> "make" for that step, so that you no longer have to run the CPAN
> shell itself with sudo. That, in turn, means that *only* the install
> step will be run as root; the download, build, and test steps will be
> run as your normal user login.
>
> The second option is more work, but it reduces the amount of stuff
> that's running as root - which is always a good idea.
>
> sherm--

thank you Sherm,

this was it. It is late in Munich now, so I tried only the first solution:

% sudo chown root:staff .gnupg/gpg.conf

and

% sudo chown root:staff .gnupg/

cpan is working now :-) I will care tomorrow about the second solution ...
So long (until tomorrow evening) thank you again

marek

ps: but one thing is worrying me: I am unable now, to change back to the
folder .gnupg ...

[markslap:~] mareklap% sudo cd .gnupg/
sudo: cd: command not found

there is probably something fundamental, which I do not understand about
root in the shell ???

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html