Hi, Sherm,

On 2006/10/28, at 21:36, Sherm Pendley wrote:

On Oct 28, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

PPC Mac Mini, Mac OS X 10.4.8, I'm following along in README.macosx and I've done this:

export SDK=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

Well, first things first. You asked if you *really* need to use the SDK.

You need to use an SDK if you're cross-compiling, such as:

a. Making a Universal Binary build of Perl, either to distribute or to use for building and distributing UB modules. b. Building Perl to run on a OS version other than the one you're building with.

Then since this copy of perl is for apache 2, I don't need it.

Thanks.

There is a possibility I erased part of the SDK

SDKs are separate sub-packages in the Xcode package, so you can re- install them pretty easily, without installing the whole thing.

Yeah, I figured re-installing XCode should be sufficient, since the only thing that I moved (and then tried to delete because I thought it was an alias) was XCode.

Building perl without the SDK options worked.

But I'm still wondering whether I wanted the shared libraries and threads. In fact, looking at perl -V on the system perl and comparing it to the parallel perl, I'm thinking maybe I wanted that multiplicity thing and I probably did want the large files option and what is PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT, and, oh, it looks like there are some advisories I need to check.

Especially I'm thinking the shared libraries and threads are going to be useful with mod_perl.

thanks more.

sherm--