Yes the alias function in MacOSX is different than regular Unix. If your software is targets a Unix server and not to only run under MacOSX, it is much better to make the links on the Mac at the command line with Unix ln command (e.g. ln -s -which is safer) to test and maintain a consistent Unix environment. Fortunately Mac support of regular Unix is really excellent and ln works as advertise on a Mac. By the way, another "got-you" is the Mac filesystem.  On new Mac computers where the software is pre-installed, the filesystem ignores case. The is not true in regular Unix. For example: in regular Unix, a file name like "johnsfile" and "johnsFile" are considered different file. But on the Mac,  they are considered the same. But you have a true Unix filesystem by reformating the disk to support case sensitive file naming. This has hurt me several times till I reformated my drive.