At 16:14 +0100 09/06/2011, Marek Stepanek wrote:

Probably I will leave the apple Perl it as it is, and make a new install of perl-5.14.0 under /usr/local

That is what I do, so that the two installations are independent. I configure simply like this:

cd downloaded_directory
./Configure -de -Dperladmin=em...@addr.com -Dcf_email=em...@addr.com
make
make test
sudo make install

Others may have more elaborate configuration suggestions but this works fine for me.

If I want to use the latest perl I change the shebang accordingly.

One thing to remember, of course, is that to add modules with cpan to 5.14.0 so configured, rather than to Apple's installation, you need to

cd /usr/local/bin; sudo ./cpan

JD