On Apr 2, 2008, at 6:58 PM, James Berry wrote:
Passing the -L -I PKG_CONFIG_PATH etc flags to link to the stuff in the
depot will have absolutely no effect on the resulting binary, making
such a change, imo, pointless, older versions of things will still be
broken when you update some dependency.

I also worry about cases like when A links against B and C. B was linked against D.version1 while C was linked against D.version2. Thus when A loads, it pulls in two (?) potentially incompatible versions of D?

How about when someone discovers a security vulnerability in D and upstream only fixes it in Version 2 (which was ABI incompatible with version 1 and has changed so much that you can't simply diff & patch to use the fix on version 1)?

We still end up needing to re-link everything that was linked against D version 1 so that it uses D version 2 + security patch.

MacPorts is already pretty weak when dealing with the dependency graph, making the graph significantly more complicated won't help things here (I'd like to be proven wrong, though :) ).

--
Daniel J. Luke