Where am I getting tripped up on this one?

You need to add `use_configure no`

Ok, done
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/07.14.09/memtest-4460164b-123912.txt

Looks like this was called from the makefile:
mkdir -m 755 -p /usr/local/{bin,man/man8}
install -m 755 memtester /usr/local/bin/
gzip -c memtester.8 >memtester.8.gz ; install -m 644 memtester.8.gz / usr/local/man/man8/

That probably was not good?

Do I need destroot to also install the binary and the man pages, or does that happen as part of make install? Could this be that make is not able to understand the prefix?

You might consider patching the Makefile's install portion, or you'll find yourself using xinstall lines to do the installation 'manually' in the portfile.

My plan was to infact xinstal the files, but I am open to learning how to patch the makefile.

In this one, do I need to just reinplace
INSTALLPATH     = /usr/local

Here is the makefile
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/07.14.09/Makefile-5698c444-124226.txt

Thanks