Hello, I have been reading today about Makefiles, not getting too far.

The Makefile for memtester did not accept the --prefix argument. I also had this issue with the rbldnsd port as well.

Can someone summarize why some sources are so simple to make a portfile for, and others require reinplacing the Makefile to alter it just enough to conform how MacPorts will need it to be?

99% of the time, --prefix works fine, why would someone omit it, and assume that software wants to be in say /usr/local/bin? There could be any number of other layouts the user wants to put things in, /opt/ local being just one.

memtestx is a branch of memtester, that is pay for software. A very small fee. I would like to release memtester as free software. I feel a lot of people would benefit from it. However, a lot of people are not going to want to install MacPorts just to get memtester.

If I use MacPorts to make a package installer, do I need to do so on each of 10.4, and 10.5 for PPC and Intel, and make 4 total binary files? Is there any way to make a universal binary so I can only distribute one file?

Suggestions on how to deal with the man page would also be appreciated, as well as a standard to OS X location to store memtester in this scenario. Is /Applications a bad spot of a command line binary in a case like this?

Thank you porters