Sounds reasonable, however I wonder if this is a temporary issue that impacts a handful of ports. Do you know if there are many projects apart from wine that need 32-bit?

I'd say that, if it does impact several ports to go for it. If it's only wine or one or two other ports, I'd leave things as they are and post it as a known bug.

I guess there are several ports that will not work 64-bit, we just haven't come across them yet. I imagine a lot of the bugs currently classified as Snow Leopard-related issues are in fact 64-bit- related. So far I see the following ports forcing themselves to 32- bit builds:

bochs
synergy
wine
wine-crossover-games
wine-devel

These also have inline-asm and need to be 32bit, but I haven't added the build_arch-fu to them yet:
xulrunner
xulrunner-devel
firefox-x11
firefox-x11-devel