>> Is it possible in a Portfile to describe the installation in a way that a
>> distro is downloaded, unpacked, and only referenced, and then cleaned up
>> when done?
>
> Well yes, but only if the boost distfile were listed in your powerdns port.
> And this would cause the boost distfile to be downloaded again. So that's not
> optimal for all those users who already have boost downloaded and installe

Ok, got it. Hmm, with how long Boost takes to build, I am not sure the best
thing to do.  I don't want users to have to build Boost at all, just get the
include files they need.

Would it be appropriate to do something like:

    if boost is installed
        -I/opt/local/include
    else
        download boost
        -Ifiles/whatever-boost-downloads-as/
    end if

Is that possible to do?  If it is possible, I will start looking at the docs
for how, unless someone knows a port that does something similar that I can
learn from.  Thanks.