On May 22, 2010, at 18:30, Scott Haneda wrote:

>>> Is it possible in a Portfile to describe the installation in a way that a
>>> distro is downloaded, unpacked, and only referenced, and then cleaned up
>>> when done?
>>
>> Well yes, but only if the boost distfile were listed in your powerdns port.
>> And this would cause the boost distfile to be downloaded again. So that's
>> not optimal for all those users who already have boost downloaded and
>> installe
>
> Ok, got it. Hmm, with how long Boost takes to build, I am not sure the best
> thing to do.  I don't want users to have to build Boost at all, just get the
> include files they need.
>
> Would it be appropriate to do something like:
>
>    if boost is installed
>        -I/opt/local/include
>    else
>        download boost
>        -Ifiles/whatever-boost-downloads-as/
>    end if
>
> Is that possible to do?  If it is possible, I will start looking at the docs
> for how, unless someone knows a port that does something similar that I can
> learn from.  Thanks.

Sounds possible. I doubt there's documentation on how to do this very specific
thing.

I guess the code would run something like:

if ${prefix}/include/boost exists, do nothing

otherwise distfiles-append the boost distfile and configure.cppflags-append
-I${worksrcpath}/boost-1.42.0

And you'd have to add the boost checksums and master_sites.