On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:24, vincent habchi wrote:

> I’m back with the dragonegg(svn) port. As I explained before, this port needs
> to be in perfect sync with llvm-devel (both SVN are constantly kept in
> phase), so that if you update one, you must update the other.
>
> Now, it’s fairly easy in a way: it suffices to mark dragonegg dependent on
> llvm-devel, so each time llvm-devel is updated, dragonegg should follow.

Well, just because someone updates llvm-devel, doesn't mean anything will
happen with dragonegg. If it is necessary for a maintainer to update both of
these ports at the same time, then you should add a comment to both portfiles
reminding the maintainer to do that. I have such comments in
graphviz/graphviz-gui/gvedit for example.

> But how to do it conversely? To wrap up: how to render two port dependent one
> upon the other?

You don't, really. There's no way to force a user to upgrade a port anyway. The
best you can do I think is keep the ports updated and working in the
repository, and encourage users to "sudo port selfupdate && sudo port upgrade
outdated" as we always do anyway.