> Still, this would be only valid for all existing hashes. Imagine a new
> changeset would appear which would increase the default to 8.
> If that short hash had been used at MacPorts it would likely cause an error,
> wouldn't it.

Given that their "book" says the largest git repositories they've seen just
barely require 12 digits... I don't think we really need to worry. If paranoid
we could use 12 or we could use the whole thing: as long as it works, great.

If there's a collision, it will error out rather than give you bad data:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/7128558

> Anyway, I saw that from the 188 ports (using github portgroup at the moment)
> only SIX use the hash.
> And only ONE of them is shortened, i.e. Craig's mythtv.
> All other ports use normal version numbering.

Well, "normal versions" are just aliases (tags) that point to a commit hash.
It's simply a convenience, which some upstream maintainers don't do--if it's
there, great.