Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia writes:

> On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Sean Farley <s...@macports.org> wrote:
>

>> Rainer Müller writes:

>>> Fine with me.
>>>
>>> This change makes sense as the features supported by the gcc and clang
>>> compilers shipped in ports are almost homogenous at the moment; in the
>>> past there were differences as not all gcc4* shipped gfortran or gcj.
>>> However, I don't expect the situation to change in the near future.
>>
>> Clang doesn't provide fortran but all gcc ports do. How is that almost
>> homogenous?
>
> Did you actually look at the patch?  It doesn't treat clang the same as it
> does gcc.  It treats all gcc versions the same as all other gcc versions; it
> treats all clang versions the same as all other clang versions; and it treats
> all dragonegg versions the same as it treats all other dragonegg versions...

To be honest, Jeremy, the patch is a bad hack, at best. It relies on the
compiler name and does horrible regex matching. What if there's a new
compiler that comes out? For example, let's say Intel releases a free
version for the mac or maybe the Open64 compiler gets a complete port to
the mac? Those would still require an update to base.

What about making this a port group? Or maybe making this a better
system of object-oriented-ness (as much as would be allowed in Tcl)?

>> That's a huge difference when building mpi-dependent ports.
>
> Which is not really affected by this…

Sure, your patch doesn't make it worse but it also does nothing to
alleviate the burden of having a port with a fortran + mpi
requirement. This seems like a good opportunity to address these issues.