On 08/28/2013 06:44 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Aug 28, 2013, at 00:25, Blair Zajac wrote:

I need the same patch for two ports (zeroc-ice35 and py-zeroc-ice35) and right
now the patch file in py-zeroc-ice35 is a symlink to the one in zeroc-ice35.

# port -v sync
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
receiving file list ... done
./
skipping non-regular file
"python/py-zeroc-ice35/files/patch-ice.cpp.config.Make.rules.Darwin.diff"

Can we add syncing of symlinks to the rsync command?

That would involve changing the default rsync_options in macports.conf to include
"-l", then releasing a new version of MacPorts, then hoping that no user had
modified that setting.

I'm not sure if there are any security or other negative implications of using the
"-l" option.

Generally we just copy the patch into each port where it's needed.

I ended up doing that.

We should add a svn pre-commit hook that prevents symlinks from being checked into the ports directory to avoid people not realizing it won't work.

Blair