At 11:48 AM -0500 11/9/13, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
Myth includes Perl and Python bindings that need a number of dependencies to work (eg port:${pymodver}-mysql, port:${perlmodver}-dbd-mysql, etc). I have these listed as depends_lib but no Myth binaries link directly to them. Is it advantageous to list them instead as depends_run?

The packages aren't guaranteed to be available during build time if it's only a depends_run. You might need them listed in both depends_build and depends_run, if the bindings aren't always built.

egall's script says that Myth does not link directly to qt4-mac-${mysqlver}-plugin but does link directly to qt4-mac. Again, are there advantages to showing qt4-mac as a depends_lib but the plugin as a depends_run?

Again, qt4-mac should definitely be listed as depends_lib, but the plugin might need both _run and _build.

Try setting the plugin dependency to _run and deactivate it, then build and see if your package still uses it. If so, then the plugin isn't needed during _build. If it doesn't work then you need it in both _build and _run.

So, in a way, we all use depends_lib for certain things as a short-hand for listing stuff as both depends_build and depends_run, no? For example, I was looking at some of the perl modules. My port uses p5.12-libwww-perl which relies on a list of other perl modules. Using port-depcheck confirms that no compiled library links. Of the rdeps for p5.12-libwww-perl, only a couple of lower level modules appear to link directly to a compiled library, eg p5.12-net-ssleay.

In a perfect world, maybe we should have a "depends_mod" for indicating a dependency on an interpreted module (perl, python, php, ruby, ...)? It would express the relationship more precisely, I think. OTOH, I don't see any particular advantage other than that and it would be a tremendous amount of work to got through all existing ports and split depends_mod out from depends_lib as necessary. Perhaps just the documentation for depends_lib should be expanded to say that it indicates both compiled and interpreted linkages?

Craig