Mark Moll writes:

>> On Dec 14, 2014, at 2:28 AM, Sean Farley <s...@macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> So, I've added support into the compilers portgroup for working with
>> the compiler.blacklist variable but that doesn't fix the issue that Ryan
>> tried to fix with r125939:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/changeset/125939
>>
>> It seems instead that the fix is just to remove the gcc variants:
>>
>> mpi.setup -gcc
>>
>> Is there anything wrong with this proposed fix? If no one objects, I'll
>> push my changesets which 1) add blacklist support to the compilers
>> portgroup and 2) add mpi portgroup to boost (but remove gcc variants).
>
> This seems like a good idea. Unless (a) you can use gcc for all of boost’s
> dependents and (b) there are actual use cases where this would be useful, I’d
> say that removing gcc variants is a good idea. Mixing libc++ and libstdc++ in
> boost dependents is bound to lead to problems.

(a) That would require depending on a variant which I don't want to put
    the work into. I wrote a script to do this manually for myself but
    it is still a headache.

(b) Depends on how useful you think testing different compiler speed /
    output is: I would have used it to test dolfin (FEniCS) builds with
    gcc vs clang.