At 8:45 AM -0700 5/18/15, David Evans wrote:
On 5/18/15 8:01 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
Background - So I was following a discussion on another site about Apple's Aperture being replaced. Many people are looking for alternatives and there has been essentially no mention of open source alternatives (like DarkTable, LightZone or DigiKam). Most of these folks are photographers and would never consider installing MacPorts and XCode in order to get an application they might otherwise find interesting.

1) How much work would it take to have a mode in MacPorts where it only installs pre-compiled packages? Is the assumption that XCode is present so deeply ingrained that Macports-base would have to be extensively re-designed?

For example, I would think 'port search' would need to be modified to only show the pre-compiled packages (available for that platform) and somehow indicate that only the default variants are available.

Perhaps a fork of Pallet could be so modified?

2) Are there a worthwhile number of packages that would then be available? I know my own MythTV ports run into the OpenSSL conflict and therefore aren't available as binaries. From http://packages.macports.org/ it appears we don't have binary packages for DarktTable or DigiKam (and no port of LightZone).

OTOH, someone posted some information several weeks ago explaining how to determine if that licence conflict really applies or not. (Involves inspecting library linkages, as I recall.) I get the impression that our current policy is quite conservative and that a number of packages (many?) may actually qualify for binary distribution with some analysis and verification.

Have you looked at the various binary packaging targets available with MacPorts?

mpkg or mdmg might provide a mechanism to do what you want. Just would need a way to distribute the results providing the licensing issues could be worked out.

See https://guide.macports.org/#using.binaries

I am intimately familiar with mpkg/mdmg -- I provide an all-in-one installer for Myth[1]. For that, I use Parallels to maintain an isolated prefix for building (and others for testing. It occurred to me that the existing infrastructure of MacPorts provides _most_ of what would be needed for delivering pre-built packages to less-sophisticated users.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/macportsmythtvinstaller/

Craig