At 11:56 AM -0400 5/18/15, Brandon Allbery wrote:
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Craig Treleaven <<mailto:ctrelea...@macports.org>ctrelea...@macports.org> wrote:
OTOH, someone posted some information several weeks ago explaining how to determine if that licence conflict really applies or not. (Involves inspecting library linkages, as I recall.) I get the impression that our current policy is quite conservative and that a number of packages (many?) may actually qualify for binary distribution with some analysis and verification.

But someone needs to put in that time --- and time is always a problem in a volunteer-run project.

Understood, I'm trying to gauge whether there is interest in taking MacPorts in this direction. Right now, as I see it, MacPorts is pretty much geared to coders and sophisticated users (system/network administrators, etc). There exists a wider group of folks who just want to run a specific application or two (say Darktable and Gimp, just for instance). If such users could just install "Pallet-lite" and then be able to install any of a few dozen major open-source applications, that might be pretty popular.

In some ways, it might be the Mac App Store for open source.

Craig