On Monday January 25 2016 19:39:26 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>I was under the impression that Apple already compressed the files and
>programs installed with the operating system, using HFS compression, ever
>since taking up less disk space was listed as a feature of Snow Leopard.

Yeah, I thought so too, but I also have the impression that may not always work
as advertised after a few updates have been applied. Easy enough to check with
`ls -lO` (/usr/bin/ls that is).

Even better than HFS compression is storing little-used apps on a compressed
DMG and running them from there. That's what I've been doing with iTunes ever
since it was code-signed and I could no longer get rid of the considerable
amount of useless (to me) stuff in the app bundle.
The total footprint in bytes isn't very different of course, but it's always
more efficient to have a single big file rather than the same number of bytes
in myriads of smaller files.

R.