Hi,

Marko tells me he's been having issues with upgrading one of my KF5 ports that
uses the active_variants portgroup to "depend" on variants of one of its
dependencies.

From our exchange:

> > > There's little I can do about that. digiKam needs +qt5 (evidently) but
> > > also +contrib. The only way to increase the chance that opencv is
> > > installed with those variants by default is to add the variants to
> > > digikam, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. This is due to the fact
> > > that ports cannot depend on the variants of another port (unless they
> > > have the same variant, but that's propagation, not dependance). They
> > > can only raise an error if they detect that a dependency is installed
> > > with the wrong variant(s).

In short: digikam needs port:opencv with +qt5+contrib. I try to impose that
using

{{{
PortGroup           active_variants 1.1

depends_lib-append  port:opencv
require_active_variants opencv qt5
require_active_variants opencv contrib
}}}

From what I understand, Marko had opencv+qt5+contrib installed and lost those
variants when port:opencv was upgraded.

I'll leave it to him to post the exact command he used for installing or
upgrading the kf5-digikam port which led to the variant issue, I only have a
part of the trace:

{{{
--->  Fetching archive for opencv
--->  Attempting to fetch opencv-3.1.0_4.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2 from
http://nue.de.packages.macports.org/opencv
--->  Attempting to fetch opencv-3.1.0_4.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2 from
https://packages.macports.org/opencv
--->  Attempting to fetch opencv-3.1.0_4.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2 from
http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/opencv
--->  Fetching distfiles for opencv
--->  Verifying checksums for opencv
--->  Extracting opencv
--->  Applying patches to opencv
--->  Configuring opencv
--->  Building opencv
--->  Staging opencv into destroot
--->  Installing opencv @3.1.0_4
--->  Activating opencv @3.1.0_4
--->  Cleaning opencv
--->  Fetching archive for kf5-digikam-devel
Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port kf5-digikam-devel returned: opencv
must be installed with +qt5.
Please see the log file for port kf5-digikam-devel for details:

/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_Users_marko_WC_GIT_macstrop_kf5_kf5-digikam/kf5-digikam-devel/main.log
}}}

is there something wrong in my way of declaring the variant dependency, or is
this to be expected?

Thanks,
René