On 04/11/16 04:18, Sterling Smith wrote:

On Nov 3, 2016, at 7:54PM, Arno Hautala <a...@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:

Well, I tried that. I git stashed, then made changes to curl and committed
them, and later when I tried to git stash pop, my other changes that I had in
my git clone were not restored. I have no idea where they are now.

There's also another paradigm to adopt which avoids stashing entirely.
Just always work in a branch and feel free to commit even if you're in
the middle of something. In your case, you're working on something
(let's say it's wget), but curl needs to be fixed too. Commit your
incomplete changes on the "wget-update" branch, `git checkout -b
curl-update master` to create and checkout a curl branch, complete
your work there, and then switch back to the "wget-update" branch.
This is my preference.  I tried stash as well once, and had trouble with it.

I would agree.

You should get out of the habit of working on the master branch. Leave that pristine and in sync with GitHub. For each separate project you are working out create a branch (from the master) and work on that. When you are ready you can then push that branch to GitHub and create a pull request for it.

Chris

-Sterling