On 2018-03-29 16:19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> At the same time, we need to consider how MacPorts base will respond to the
> situation. Currently, it assumes all packages are available on all mirrors.
> Therefore, it tries to find a package on three mirrors before giving up. If
> many mirror operators choose to exclude an OS version, this could leave a
> user building from source, even when a binary exists on a more-distant
> mirror; I want to avoid that. One workaround is to recommend that mirror
> operators who exclude some packages should also add http redirects for
> excluded packages to their web server configuration, redirecting those
> requests back to the main (full) mirror. We can update our sample
> configurations on the Mirroring wiki page to reflect this.

We can easily split our definition of mirror_sites and only list the
URLs that will provide packages for a particular version.

I started looking at #56053 [1] yesterday and I think it would actually
be helpful if we would use a configuration file with the same syntax as
archive_sites.conf instead of the messy mirror_sites.tcl we have right
now, as it makes assumptions about the internals of base.

I am not sure either how we could do such a reorganisation without
wasting a lot of bandwidth, but we could at least start with the new
scheme as of 10.14.

>> I'm not saying this should be implemented immediately, but I would certainly
>> start thinking about that before we add additional four mirrors (three
>> legacy ones and 10.14).
>
> As I understood our libstdc++ to libc++ transition plan for 10.6-10.8
> systems, we will not create new builders. We will instead repurpose existing
> builders for libc++, and delete the old libstdc++ archives for 10.6-10.8
> system when we do so.

As far as I see based on the ticket [2], we do not have a decision on
that yet.

Rainer

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56053
[2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50448