On Mar 29, 2018, at 12:55, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 29 March 2018 at 18:21, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> On 2018-03-29 16:19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> At the same time, we need to consider how MacPorts base will respond to the
>>> situation. Currently, it assumes all packages are available on all mirrors.
>>> Therefore, it tries to find a package on three mirrors before giving up. If
>>> many mirror operators choose to exclude an OS version, this could leave a
>>> user building from source, even when a binary exists on a more-distant
>>> mirror; I want to avoid that. One workaround is to recommend that mirror
>>> operators who exclude some packages should also add http redirects for
>>> excluded packages to their web server configuration, redirecting those
>>> requests back to the main (full) mirror. We can update our sample
>>> configurations on the Mirroring wiki page to reflect this.
>>
>> We can easily split our definition of mirror_sites and only list the
>> URLs that will provide packages for a particular version.
>>
>> I started looking at #56053 [1] yesterday and I think it would actually
>> be helpful if we would use a configuration file with the same syntax as
>> archive_sites.conf instead of the messy mirror_sites.tcl we have right
>> now, as it makes assumptions about the internals of base.
>>
>> I am not sure either how we could do such a reorganisation without
>> wasting a lot of bandwidth, but we could at least start with the new
>> scheme as of 10.14.
>
> If we start with 10.14 and the (hopefully) three new builders, we
> won't be wasting any *additional* bandwidth as we would need to put
> those binaries somewhere anyway.
>
> As far as other builders are concerned: some packages might never be
> downloaded, but others might be downloaded 100 or 1000 times or ever
> more by various users. So as long as we don't transfer one full
> terrabyte of data at once, I don't think this would pose a serious
> issue. The biggest problem is in *additional disk space*. By:
> - cleaning up the old packages
> - transferring just one platform (or even less) at a time
> this should hopefully not be such a big deal.

I have not yet heard any reason why we need to change the file structure of the
packages server.

> PS: if we gradually move packages.macports.org to a different
> subdomain, we could, say, one year after the move, reuse that
> subdomain for package index :)

If by "package index" you mean the one-web-page-per-port system that we've long
desired but not yet implemented, then I had always assumed it would be located
under www.macports.org/ports; we should stop creating separate hostnames for
every new thing and instead try to create a single cohesive web experience.