On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 08:51:49AM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
On 1 May 2018 at 16:11, Rainer Müller wrote:

The guide uses "Portfile-rrdtool.diff" as an example filename [1]. Some
users seem to take that literally and submit patches with that name.

[1] https://guide.macports.org/#development.patches.portfile

Looking at this part of the guide, I would suggest that we change the
instructions. It almost definitely makes more sense to use "git diff
..." instead of "diff ...", but more importantly we probably want to
suggest creating a pull request at that point anyway.

Some contributors would edit the Portfile in
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/,
 which isn't a git repository and `git diff` won't work for them.

Maybe "git format-patch -1" is better than "git diff ..."? But that
would be even closer to a pull request.

--
Zero