Hi all,

I am going to ask here for permission to go ahead and make adjustments to any
ports that need fixing for os versions < 10.9 without the need for PRs or
further discussions.

Although I know there can always be several different ways of doing something,
I tend to use these older systems on a daily basis, and I often fix these port
for these older systems quickly. However, I can get frustrated bikeshedding the
small nuances of this vs. that way of fixing them -- and this is really to
nobody's benefit, I submit.

I suggest that if I'm prepared to spend the time to figure out how to fix these
ports for older systems, in a way that doesn't affect newer systems, then I'd
like to be able to just go ahead and fix them without endless and often
pointless discussions about this-vs-that way it could be done. There are too
many fixes to do to spend all day bikeshedding those details.

After I fix them, if someone sees some differen/better way they might want them
fixed, well please feel free to update the fix if you're so inclined. At least
the port will be fixed in the meantime. But in most cases, I'm really the only
one who has the ability to test and see what works anyway, so I'm hoping you
will all let me just go ahead and do that with the blessing of the community.

I think that MacPorts support for older OS versions is one of our strongest
features -- and will be a primary way we make our mark in the mix of other
package managers. I see a day where all software authors send users to us for
this reason. And I don't want to see that get burned by bikeshedding the
nuances of fixes for old OS version.

I hope you'll all see it the way I see I it, and as always, I promise not to do
anything purposefully stupid.

Best,

Ken