On May 17, 2022, at 15:31, Steven Smith wrote:

>> Whenever the curl-ca-bundle port is updated to a new version, the
>> privoxy-pki-bundle port's revision should be increased so that it rebuilds
>> with the new bundle.
>

> Thank you.
>
> This is the part that I was hoping is automatic, without updating a revision:
> the depends_lib would see that the “library” that the port depends upon has
> been updated, and rebuilds itself because of the updated library dependency.
> All without modification of the Portfile.
>
> I infer from your response that this isn’t how depends_lib works.

Correct, that's not how it works. If you want a port to be rebuilt, increase
its revision.

You may be thinking of a MacPorts feature called rev-upgrade which is designed
to help users not encounter some types of breakage when someone forgets to
increase a port's revision. The only type of breakage this deals with is
dynamically linked libraries being missing: for example, a port is updated to a
new version which provides a new major version of the library which therefore
has a different filename but the revision of the ports that link with the
library was not increased. As a stopgap until the revisions are increased,
MacPorts will notice the problem and rebuilt the ports from source on the
user's machine to get things working again.