I've got other ports running and thus don't have a chance at the moment to
download and install mysql5-server, but the stock install includes the
following:

if test -z "$basedir"
then
  basedir="/usr"
  bindir="/usr/bin"
  mysqld="/usr/libexec/mysqld"
  pkgdatadir="/usr/share/mysql"
else

As the post-destroot patches don't appear to change this. Maybe the next thing
to try is to set --basedir to /opt/local and probably set --datadir as well and
generally check the documentation for the command you've been asked to invoke.