Hello,

> How come Linux distributions can provide binary packages for kdepim?
I am not sure about that. The thing is that most of openssl use from KDE is
swept under the carpet by avoiding any standard linking (only linking at
runtime is used), and most project are moving to Qt SSL module instead. Not
that anything of it changes the license restrictions.

The thing is that I was thus not convinced about the fact of being strictly
able to distribute all kde ports, so I looked by myself, and only the ones
where I was pretty sure of myself are now distributed, but I may have missed
something. However, the main point stays: most licenses in KDE are GPL-2+,
without exceptions about openssl, so that they inherently conflict.

> Would it be feasible to isolate the io-slave submodule and distribute it
> separately? If not, there's always the solution to provide a kdepim variant
> like ffmpeg+gpl2+nonfree which can only be installed from source?

Not with a variant, as ports can’t require specific variants. A subport may
however be possible, with changes of the Portfiles declaring a dependency to
kdepimlibs to a binary one (bin:foo) instead of a port one (port:foo).

Cheers,

Nicolas