Hi,

Any scripts that make any assumptions on what $DISPLAY looks like are
flawed by designed...

I don't agree :
(and not being an English fully-native speaker myself I won't comment about
arguments with grammatical errors :P )

http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/X.7.html#toc4
http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/X.7.html#sect4

{{{
DISPLAY NAMES
        From the user's perspective, every X server has a display name of the
form:

                                           hostname:displaynumber.screennumber

        This information is used by the application to determine how it should
connect to  the  server  and  which
        screen it should use by default (on displays with multiple monitors):

[...]
        On POSIX systems, the default display name is stored in your DISPLAY
environment variable.  This  variable
        is set automatically by the xterm terminal emulator.  However, when you
log into another machine on a net‐
        work, you may need to set DISPLAY by hand to point to your display.
For example,

            % setenv DISPLAY myws:0
            $ DISPLAY=myws:0; export DISPLAY
}}}

If you have a reference to an RFC paper or similar stating different I am of
course willing to modify my opinion accordingly.

My argument is not based on what some standard says about what DISPLAY should or should look like, but the basic premise that extracting information from $DISPLAY is just a bad idea and should be avoided.