On 13/10/14 15:09, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
On Monday October 13 2014 14:34:15 Chris Jones wrote:

Any scripts that make any assumptions on what $DISPLAY looks like are
flawed by designed...

My argument is not based on what some standard says about what DISPLAY
should or should look like, but the basic premise that extracting
information from $DISPLAY is just a bad idea and should be avoided.

In other words, you mean that *you consider* assumptions on $DISPLAY's
information content to be design flaws, it's not a universal truth.

Clearly its my opinion, as I stated it. Apologies if that was not obvious.

As long as there is documentation that's not contradicted/superseded by more
recent/authoritative documents and that states that the 1st element of $DISPLAY
refers to the X server host, using that information in code may not be the most
future-proof way of doing things, but it might be the only way of doing things.

On the other hand, even if it did not exist (and I have no time to search, or interest in doing so) the absence of such documentation does *not* make the documents you quoted the absolute definition of the standard. Xorg's view as Brandon has already stated is a very biased view towards the way things are in Linux-land.

Chris