Well I'll be ...

I tried once more, launched XQuartz (2.7.4) without my own .xinitrc in place,
noted it had taken :1.0 (which sometimes happens when a previous instance
didn't exit cleanly), and then tried to use a fully specified DISPLAY
(${HOST}.local:1.0) and port:xterm. Whatever happened with the :0.0 address
(which resisted a reboot) apparently doesn't concern :1.0 because I could even
move back my .xinitrc and get my full environment. (Which is nothing but 2
xterms, a clock and a legacy ctwm window manager.)

R.