On 19/05/16 13:51, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
On Thursday May 19 2016 11:22:35 René J.V. Bertin wrote:

So it seems that the only feasible things are skipping the ObjC and/or ObjC++ compilers,
and the Java compiler. I'll try to round up my "little" experiment to assess if
that makes a lot of difference in installation footprint.

Skipping those components gives me a destroot directory that is 185Mb big, as opposed to
the 359Mb from the binary package for 10.9 . I must add that I build with
optflags="-Os -march=core2", though; -Os overriding GCC's default -O2 may have
made some difference too.

Still, a pretty significant reduction in size that might interest users who install gcc
only because they need a Fortran compiler. Ports that used to depend simply on port:gccXY
because they need either Java or Fortran will need to change to using a path: style
dependency on a representative component; that should call for installation of the
"uncut" port if that component is missing.

For me, thats not enough of a saving to warrant the general disturbance such a split would cause.

Chris