> On 1 Feb 2017, at 14:20, Bachsau <w...@bachsau.name> wrote:
>
> Am 01.02.2017 um 07:38 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
>> Sorry. Repeated modifications of the profile when the modifications were
>> already there was a bug. It looks like a fix was committed, so hopefully
>> 2.4.1 will not have this bug anymore.
>
> Not only repeated modifications. It simply should not do that in any case,
> without asking back!

It is not uncommon to have your profile modified. The python.org
<http://python.org/> installer will do this.
But in that case there is a Customise button that allows you to turn this off.

>> Using /etc/paths to add the MacPorts paths is not recommended because that
>> appends the MacPorts paths to the default, while we want the MacPorts paths
>> to be prepended. We want MacPorts versions of software to supersede probably
>> older versions provided by the OS, not vice versa as using /etc/paths will
>> do.
>
> It depends on the order in your /etc/paths. If I put it first, it is first.
> The advantage of /etc/paths is it is applied even to the graphical
> environment, not just when running a login shell.

The fix that I contributed fixed the bug and will in fact take into account
your edits to /etc/paths as there terminal will start with PATH set to this.

>> The MacPorts installer has always done this. I'm pretty sure it tells you it
>> will do this, and our documentation says so too.
>
> It did not, never.

>> The alternative is that the user installs MacPorts, then when they try to
>> use it they get an error that "port" could not be found in the path; this
>> will cause tons of support requests that I would prefer to avoid, so I'd
>> like to keep things the way they are, with the installer modifying the
>> user's profile when needed.
>
> People using MacPorts are those who know about the insides of their system
> and want to customize it. I think they should at least be able to read and
> follow documentation.

I don’t think its safe to assume all MacPorts uses are expert admins.

Barry