> On Feb 11, 2021, at 18:47, Todd Doucet wrote:
>
> > You can see that there are two SDKs here, including the one that you
> > expect, and the name MacOSX.sdk links to it too:
> >
> > % ls -l /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs
> >
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   14 Feb  6 16:23 MacOSX.sdk -> MacOSX11.1.sdk
> > drwxr-xr-x  8 root  wheel  256 Jul  9  2020 MacOSX10.15.sdk
> > drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  224 Nov 30 07:33 MacOSX11.1.sdk
>
> This looks normal to me. As far as I can tell, it is normal for the Xcode
> 12.4 command line tools installer to give you both the 10.15 SDK and the 11.1
> SDK. Apple has changed their mind a few times about whether Xcode and the CLT
> provide only the latest OS SDK or both the latest OS SDK and the previous OS
> SDK, but right now they appear to be providing both latest and previous.
>

> > I am not sure which package receipt specifically is important, but I have
> > these:
> >
> > % pkgutil --pkgs | grep -i cltool
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_SDK_macOS110
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_SDK_macOS1015
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_macOS_SDK
>
> The first one is the one that MacPorts checks for (on 10.9 and later; on
> earlier OS versions it has different names) and the one that we believe
> Apple's software update checks for. You can verify which version of the CLT
> you have by running:
>
> pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version
>

> > This machine is about one week old.  One of the very first things I did was
> > type 'git' to the shell, which caused macOS to offer to install the Command
> > Line Tools.  I said yes, and was happily using git and the compilers and
> > other tools for several days.
> >
> > Then later, when I decided to install MacPorts, I read that Xcode is
> > required so I installed that.  When I ran Xcode once, Xcode itself offered
> > to install Command Line Tools (or maybe it was during the installation
> > process--not sure).  Anyway, I said yes again and still had command line
> > tools.  And Xcode version 12.4 (12D4e) too.
>
> I do not believe that Xcode offered you to install the CLT; I have never
> known Xcode to do that. Xcode does ask you about installing additional
> components when it is first opened, and if you do not allow it, Xcode quits,
> so you probably allowed it. But "additional components" and "command line
> tools" are unrelated things.

Yes, you are correct.  I remembered my interpretation of what it said, but not
what it said ("additional components") until you reminded me!

> > My conclusion is that I probably have what I am supposed to have.  If you
> > think otherwise, please let me know.
>
> You stated you are running macOS 11.1, and you appear to have the 11.1 SDK.
> Therefore I cannot explain why you are seeing the warning.

I am looking at the About This Mac box and it says Version 11.1.  And for
completeness:

% pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version

version: 12.4.0.0.1.1610135815

So I guess there is still a bit of a mystery.  If I get some time I will try to
build the new MacPorts from source and see if there is still a warning.  (I
presently do not rely on MacPorts for mainline code and it is very easy for me
to nuke it and do a quick reinstall.)