On 30.01.2007, at 23:45, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 08:55:19PM +0100, Christoph Pfisterer wrote:
>
>> I know that most people don't care about EFI-based booting (i.e.
>> elilo), but just in case there is anyone lingering on this list that
>> does, here's something for you to play with.
>
> I'm still quite interested it. I stopped using last month because I
> needed the external video port for a conference (which worked under
> the
> VESA and proprietary ATI drivers with the legacy bios) and because the
> shadowfb bug is painful, but I'd like to switch back.

Good to hear!

>> Under the umbrella of the rEFIt project, I have developed additional
>> file system drivers for the EFI environment. ext2/ext3 and ReiserFS
>> are usable, and I've started work on ISO9660. These drivers are read-
>> only by design and pretty limited, but they are sufficient for
>> booting and there's a framework that makes it easy to add more file
>> systems.
>
> Is there a quickstart for using these somewhere? I tried the ext2
> driver
> when you first announced it, but couldn't figure out how to address
> the
> proper partition from the refit command line.

When the EFI shell starts, it prints a list of detected file systems
and block devices. You can get that list again at any time with the
"map" command. (You may want to run "map -b" to get paged output.)
File systems are named "fs0:", "fs1:" and so on, and the shell uses
DOS-style drive changing. Once you have changed to a specific volume,
"vol" will give you some information on it like the volume label. An
example with prompts:

   Shell> fs2:
   fs2:\> vol
   fs2:\> ls
   fs2:\> cd boot
   fs2:\boot> ls
   fs2:\boot> elilo
   ELILO boot:

Hope this helps,
chrisp

- --
chrisp a.k.a. Christoph Pfisterer   "To understand a program
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://chrisp.de      you must become both the
PGP key & geek code available        machine and the program."