Ortwin Glück schrieb:
>> Can I switch the HID mode?
>
> You sound a little confused (okay, the architecture is not exactly well
> documented). HCI is the low-level bluetooth device. I wouldn't say it's
> even a protocol. It's rather the hardware interface. It controls the
> immediate BT hardware stuff. The hcitool can issue most HCI commands to
> such a device.
>
> Bluetooth supports several transport layers: UART, RS232 and USB. For us
> only USB is relevant. See hciconfig.

Ok, I understand.

> HID is a USB device class and as such a Bluetooth "profile". All mice
> and keyboards use that.

Ok. But as I understand HID is very basic. If you want to use all features of
a device, you have to use the devices "own" protocol.
(To query the battery status for instance).
What does the 'boot-protocol' mean, what are the other protocol types?

If I switch a device from HID mode to HCI, does the device give the plain USB
data?

Does the HID protocol have support for the scroll-wheel?

> hid2hci is only used for dongles. Some Logitec mice for instance come
> with a cradle.The cradle is connected to an USB port in your PC and has
> a bluetooth device built-in.  Or you may have a Bluetooth USB stick,
> because your laptop comes with no Bluetooth onboard. Both are dongles.
> The mouse so speaks with the dongle only.
> In such a setup the dongle by default acts as a (USB) HID device: i.e.
> it transparently forwards the mouse data as if the mouse was directly
> connected to the USB port.

If you look a the source-code of 'hid2hci' you will see the following:

    { HCI, 0x05ac, 0x1000, switch_hidproxy },
    { HID, 0x05ac, 0x8203, switch_hidproxy },
    { HID, 0x05ac, 0x8204, switch_hidproxy },       /* Apple Mac mini */
    { HID, 0x05ac, 0x8207, switch_hidproxy },       /* Apple Power Mac G5 */

It seems, that you can switch (at least on the upper Macs) between the HID and
HIC mode. What is this for, when you do not need to switch?

> If in such a setup you want to configure the pairing for instance, you
> must switch the dongle to HCI mode. So the OS sees the Bluetooth device
> (connected over USB). That's what hid2hci is for. Nothing else.
>
> In my case, I don't have a dongle.

I do not have a dongle neither.

>> See first mail. Did not work. For logitech devices there are some special
>> commands, maybe we need some for Apple too?!
>
> Don't know what "special" commands those could be.

For logitech those are some special HID specific ioctls.

>> Ok, my fault. I need the IDs of the Mac's bluetooth device.
>
> No idea what you want with that, but what do I care:

To cross-check...

>> But as you can see, your's operating in HID mode too...
>
> Of course. There is no other possibility.

Are you sure? How do you query the battery status in HID mode?
At least (your) MightyMouse has this feature.

> You may want to check the data that your mouse sends with hcidump, as I
> have demonstrated on my aforementioned site. If you can see the scroll
> events, then your BT setup is correct. Next step is to fix the mapping
> the depths of the kernel and Xorg.... My rough guess is that the Xorg
> drivers screw it up.

Ok, same idea I had (after reading this mail). I will try these!

I think the HID mouse will use this entry in my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "CorePointer"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

There is a ZAxisMapping set and on a normal USB mouse (connected in parallel)
it works perfectly!

I will play with that tonight!

Thanks for your exhaustive answers!

Regards
 Sven

--
 Sven Anders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 () Ascii Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

Rechtsform: Aktiengesellschaft - Sitz: Passau - Amtsgericht Passau HRB 6032
Mitglieder des Vorstands: Sven Anders, Marcus Junker
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl. Kfm. Thomas Träger
begin:vcard
fn:Sven Anders
n:Anders;Sven
org:ANDURAS AG;Research and Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;Innstra=C3=9Fe 71;Passau;Bavaria;94036;Germany
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Dipl. Inf.
tel;work:++49 (0)851 / 490 50 -0
tel;fax:++49 (0)851 / 590 50 - 55