Another check which someone suggested to me a while ago but I've been
too lazy to setup is to ssh into your MBP remotely and remove as many
modules as possible, including usb.  I read reports on the kernel
mailing list that some machines don't go into C4 if the usb module is
loaded but unfortunately on the MBPs this is needed for the keyboard
so to test this you have to log in remotely.

Also, there's a post on phoronix.com

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=683&num=2

where the author claims he's checked and the ATI radeon x1650 pro (not
exaclty our model) runs much hotter on Linux than on windows (and
presumably os x) so a large part of the problem might be the ATI
drivers.  I'm not sure if powerplay works on this card but the problem
may be that the driver is so ineffecient that even using powerplay
won't buy us too much energy saving.

Do macbooks take as bad a bit on battery life as MBPs?  I've heard
three hours from some MB owners on the list which seems to still be
pretty bad compared to what they should be able to get but it would be
interesting to get more concrete data on this.

cheers,
Sheer