Thomas Meyer schrieb:

>>> Looks interesting... You might be able to disable some devices and see
>>> if it improves power consumption...

>>> At least in the current version, it doesn't help at all unfortunately.
>>>
> Why not?
>
> Additionally i encountered this, look at the number of interrupts:

What did you output here?

> And from here on the number of interrupts stays this high. only after
> doing rmmod uhci_hcd && modprobe uhci_hcd the number of interrupts goes
> back to below 100 per second. maybe the touchpad driver is missing a
> "deactive function".

Yes, this is true. After you touched the pad the first time, it will continue
to send data via it's interrupt handler every 8 ms until you suspend the whole
machine, unload the driver or force the appletouch driver any other way to
go into suspend mode (which is supported by the driver itself).
Unfortunately there is no way to suspend or reinit the driver from inside,
because the whole data-processing of the touches is done in interrupt context.

The USB autosuspend feature is currently under heavy development, so it's not
fully usable yet. In theory the mechanism should suspend the appletouch device
2 seconds after the last finger's release. So this should save some power and
should allow the CPU to stay longer in C4, if the touchpad is not used.

If you want to test the power-consumption of the touchpad, just unload the
appletouch driver and the number of interrupts should go down..

I tested the 2.6.21-rc6-mm1 kernel with USB autosuspend enabled, but it does
consume as much power as my 2.6.19 kernel.
Can we trust the output of "/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state" regarding the
current power consumption? If so, my comsumption stays as about 32W the whole
time and nothing I tried will lower it...

I guess it's this crappy ATI driver... Have anybody compared the power
consumption of the open source vs. the propriatary driver? Anybody tried to
boot via EFI and check, if it consumes less power? I'm running out of
ideas...

What I would like to test is, to login via net and unload almost all driver
AND shutdown the GPU completly. Is there any trick to do this? Maybe any hard
PCI command or something?

Regards
 Sven

--
 Sven Anders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 () Ascii Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

Rechtsform: Aktiengesellschaft - Sitz: Passau - Amtsgericht Passau HRB 6032
Mitglieder des Vorstands: Sven Anders, Marcus Junker
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl. Kfm. Thomas Träger
begin:vcard
fn:Sven Anders
n:Anders;Sven
org:ANDURAS AG;Research and Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;Innstra=C3=9Fe 71;Passau;Bavaria;94036;Germany
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Dipl. Inf.
tel;work:++49 (0)851 / 490 50 -0
tel;fax:++49 (0)851 / 590 50 - 55