Hi.  I got a lot of help with this myself, so will pass some of it
forward.  The program usually used for scanning and/or OCR on the Mac
seems to be Vuescan.  You'll need drivers for the Mac for your
scanner, if you don't already have them installed.  Download and
install Vuescan, and also a program called ReadIris.  I never got as
far as ReadIris, because I could never find a free download link for
it, but apparently its OCR is superior to Vuescan.  Vuescan would
probably do well enough for every-day tasks like reading mail and so
on, but there's no page orientation and not much in the way of dynamic
control, so it appeared to me.  Let me know if I can help, or at least
share with us how you're doing with it. :)

Mark BurningHawk

Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
MSN:  burninghawk1...@hotmail.com
My home page: