I remember playing with ProDOS a bit. It was very nice but came a bit
late in the golden era of the Apple II. The IIgs made extensive use of
it though because it could handle much larger volumes and had read
directories etc. My IIgs has a huge 5MB ProFile hard drive which was
about the size of a loaf of bread. You had to spin it up and wait about
10 minutes for the self-check to complete before you could fire up the
IIgs. After that the GS was crazy fast when it wasn't try to run from
the 800K 3.5" floppy. I think that's part of the reason the IIgs didn't
get much love from Apple. It really was turning out to be what the Mac
should have been (and eventually became) with it's lower cost and nice
GUI. I suspect it was cannibalizing the high end expensive Mac II line.

CB