DOS 3.3 and ProDOS were both loaded up from media. There is no OS burned
into the chips of the computer. GSOS was built on top of ProDOS if I
remember right but was a real 16-bit implementation as the IIgs was a
fancy 16 bit computer. I think ProDos was a lot more Unix like than DOS
like. They seemed to like to keep you out of typing commands much which
was a bit annoying.

Here's a ProFile on eBay but the asking price is a crazy $400.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-ProFile-Hard-Drive-for-Apple-III-A9M0005_W0QQitemZ200345537716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea5864cb4&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

CB