With the advent of grade 2 translation in screen readers for English,
the point of BRF files is basically non-existent. They only were ever
there because, initially, screen readers didn't translate into grade
2, so BRF files were a convenient way to read books without the
painful necessity of reading them in computer Braille, (AKA Grade 0).

These days, BRF is convenient on some note taking devices, though
hardlya necessity. It serves now, or so it seems to me, as a sort of
quasi-DRM. They figure sighted users who might get hold of such files
won't know how to read them, and therefore will not pirate them.

If I was so fortunate to be able to afford a ridiculously overpriced
Braille display, (LOL), I wouldn't bother with BRF at all. I think
they are far more trouble than they are worth. I have always, and
expect I always will, back translate BRF files to read them,
regardless of them method.

The only other use for BRF files, really, is if you plan on printing
to a Braille hard copy. But really, who is going to do that? LOL.