Hi all

I just got a look at this thread.  It seems that, once again, I am
ignorant of how we, as equal citizens with equal legal
responsibilities should view ourselves as apple customers.  I wonder
if someone might please educate me on what is wrong with the
proposition that we should have some sort of audio demonstrations of
upcoming apple accessibility developments.  Please allow me to explain
myself.

   Of course the idea that we are entitled to this information as
blind people is completely ridiculous, but I still wonder why no one
is bothered that apple don't put out a demo of the technology for us
to listen to.  Scott you said

"You are not entitled to know any more than your sighted counterpart."

I agree.  As it is, our sighted counterparts get to see live
demonstrations of the technologies in which they will invest their
money.  There was a snow-leopard demo at the last WWDC.  When Leopard
came out, there was also a WWDC demo and more demos on apple's
website.  When the iPhone 3gs came out, apple offered a demonstration
on their website.  When the iPod shuffle came out, apple again offered
a demo on their website.  In all of these cases, perhaps with the
exception of the shuffle and maybe the voice control on the iPhone if
you count that as accessibility, there was no demonstration of
VoiceOver.  Of course, the blind as such a small customer base should
give apple no occasion to suffer itself to demonstrate VO before an
audience of WWDC developers and customers, who couldn't care less, but
is putting up a little audio demonstration on their accessibility page
really too much to ask?

It is true.  I'm not entitled to know anything more than my sighted
counterpart, and I guess at this point, that is how things are.  The
sighted don't know how accessibility works under snow-leopard, just as
I don't know.  I know that snow-leopard offers the capability to watch
movies through finder icons, just as the sighted know.  The average
sighted joe does not care about accessibility improvements, just as I
don't care about watching movies through icons.  Something just seems
wrong here, though I'm having trouble putting my finger on it.

I think that apple customers should be shown the things they care
about.  Some people care about photos on the mac, so they show them.
Some people care about listening to music and watching videos, so they
show it.  Some people want to be productive in a business setting on
their macs, so they show productivity.  Some people care about the
development tools, so they show those.  In our case, we care about
accessibility, why not show it, not because we are blind people
looking for concessions or special treatment, but as consumers
spending money on apple products.

I have read the descriptions of snow leopard, and am pretty sure that
I will buy a copy when it comes out, because the descriptions on
apple's website are compelling enough.  Even if accessibility
improvements prove to be minor or non-existent, the improvements in
speed and stability will make it worth the money.  So, I don't feel
the need to raise a scandal over the fact that I can't legally listen
to an audio demonstration of VoiceOver 3.0.  No problem.
Nevertheless, the fact that people wanting a little taste of future
apple accessibility developments, like the demonstrations that their
sighted counterparts get, are so brusquely talked down and at times
hunted like criminals and reported to the authorities, continues to
elude me.

This is the view I have of things now.  As I stated before, it is
becoming increasingly obvious that it is out-of-step with the common
consensus, so I wonder if someone might not come forward and tell me
why I am wrong.  The perspectives and premises we hold in life
profoundly govern the way we carry ourselves in the world.  I most
certainly would not want to continue harboring views which cause my
conduct to  be excessively abrasive and unpalatable to those around
me.  That is why, without sarcasm, I'm asking for a change in
perspective for me and the others who ignorantly continue in this error.

Best regards
Justin Harford